- Before Wednesday’s Lecture Watch the video: http://youtu.be/OBCNWZ64eaA
In lab we will continue to catch up for lost time due to snow days. Complete the lab assignments in the order they are presented. We will not enforce due dates and may remove some of the assignments from the end of the term.
- Machinery’s Handbook (28th Edition) Pages 1054-1062
- Chip Formation Theory
- watch the video at http://youtu.be/qvcpeA5pBH0
In lab we will continue to catch up for lost time due to snow days. Complete the lab assignments in the order they are presented. We will not enforce due dates and may remove some of the assignments from the end of the terml.
No Lecture on Thursday this week, but you better go to lab…
So this week has not gone according to plan.
Originally we were not going to have lecture on Tuesday. This was so I could go to a meeting with a group that has funded a lot of research at WPI to help them with a project.
It turn’s out that with the storm the meeting organizers have decided to shift the meeting to Thursday without consulting me.
The assignments announced for Wednesday and Friday of this week wil be shifted and combined with next weeks assignments. I will also adjust the lecture schedule in the syllabus to compensate.
If you are scheduled for lab Thursday you should go and the CAM assignments are still due but will be accepted untill next wednesday if you cannot complete them by Friday night.
There will be no lecture on Tuesday 27 Jan.
We will have lecture on Wednesday and Thursday this week. On Wednesday we will complete our discussion of Process Variables, PVs, in machining operations and discuss CAM Software and NC-code. On Thursday we will begin a discussion of Metrology in Manufacturing.
- Read Machine Tool Offsets.
- Review the sections of the CNCQuickGuide on setting tool and work offsets.
- Watch the Video http://youtu.be/Tpx8EGAuEqA
- Review the NIST Technical Note TN1297
In lab this week we will continue initial machining exercises and move forward with CAM assignments. In addition to the CAM and Machining exercises we will complete an exercise in finding the appropriate Feeds and Speeds for the tooling we will use for the rest of the labs.
- Week 2 Survey due Tuesday at 11:59 PM
- Group Assignment 1b due Friday at 11:59 PM
- Week 2 Quiz due Friday at 11:59 PM
- Feed and Speed Quiz
- Lab Quizzes
- Lab Quizzes are due on a rolling basis through out the term.
- You should have completed the first 8 steps of the CAM for the Base Exercise by Friday at 11:59 PM
I will be out sick to day and have made two adjustments to the lecture schedule in the syllabus.
I’ve changed today’s planned lecture to be an in class group activity and I’ve added a lecture meeting on 11 Feb shifting all of the lectures originally scheduled between today and 10 Feb down by one slot.
What is more important; Value or Cost?
What did you do to prepare for today’s lecture?
We will have three lectures this week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. As we start the week we will continue our discussion of value and cost looking at the concepts of Lean Manufacturing. We will finish the week looking at the process of taking a concept from art to part including an introduction of Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) Machining, and NC-Code.
- Takt Time in the Lean Lexicon © – Lean Enterprise Institute
- Lean Toast
- Machine Tool Motion
There will be no labs on Monday or Tuesday this week. You will have lab on Wednesday if you are in section 1 and Tursday if you are in Sections 2, 3, or 4.
In lab this week you will begin to use the CAM software and also to begin your experience with the CNC Machine tools. We expect everyone to complete the fist machining exercise and the first CAM exercise in the time available in your first lab. If there are extenuating circumstances during your scheduled lab you will have the opportunity to complete the exercises during the beginning of next week.
- Week 1 Survey – due Tuesday at 11:59 PM
- Lab Quiz 1 (Before Your First Lab) – due Tuesday at 11:59 PM
- Group Assignment 1 – due Friday at 11:59 PM
- Week 1 Quiz – due Friday at 11:59 PM
- Lab Quiz 2 Due Friday at 11:59 PM
In this first week of C term of 2015 we will introduce the course and its key concepts.
The first scheduled lecture of the class is Thursday 15 Jan in AK 233 at 11:00 AM.
We will review the course description and syllabus. And discuss some of the core concepts of the course and activities for the term. If you have questions about the course objectives or expectations please be prepared to discuss them in class.
- There will be no scheduled labs the week of 12 Jan.
- The first lab will be 21 Jan. (Section 1) or 22 Jan. (Sections 2-4).
* This link will only work if you have already logged into myWPI